Thursday, April 26, 2007

Old Mike, New Christine

This article from the L.A. Times was sent over our department listserv. It is an amazingly articulate article about the naturalness of transsexualism and one MTF's very public transition as a sports columnist for the L.A. Times. Definitely worth the read.

I can say that this is an issue that has become surprisingly close to my heart, mostly because of the work of the GEO activists during our last contract campaign. When Daniels writes:

How do you go about sharing your most important truth, one you spent a lifetime trying to keep deeply buried, to a world that has grown familiar and comfortable with your façade?

To a world whose knowledge of transsexuals usually begins and ends with Jerry Springer's exploitation circus?

it makes a whole lot of sense. Getting to know more and more about the topic over the past years, I have really come to understand how much more natural it is than I ever would have guessed if I had not gotten involved in GEO. But, as I talk with other GEO members about the latent hostility towards negotiation for transgender inclusion in our contract, I know that there is still a lot left to be done. I can only hope that the courage to write stories like this and negotiating for transgender equality in our contracts will help with this process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment