Monday, March 2, 2009

Not the Typical American Consumer

In a post today, the NY Times blog City Room has a story about people cutting their cable and just watching things on the internet or using Netflix. As it turns out, E. and I did this just this week — and I have to say, standing in line at TimeWarner to return our cable box was one of the more pleasant experiences that I have had with TimeWarner. So far, we are pretty happy with the decision and I find myself with plenty to keep myself entertained. I guess that makes us far from the typical American (not that surprising, I guess):


“There’s an endless fascination in talking about these people, but it’s a little more of the urban myth,” said Craig Moffett, who follows the cable industry at Sanford Bernstein. “The reality is there isn’t enough content on the Web to satisfy the average American consumer.”

(Although one has to wonder how there is less content on the Web than on cable television).

2 comments:

E. said...

maybe Sanford Bernstein will get some sweet stimulus money to create jobs. They will then hire someone to watch Bravo when there is a Real Housewives of Orange County marathon on. That person will report all the things that happened on tv before falling asleep: Vicki, the most interesting psycho on the show, is actually pretty boring, and she is interspersed with the same Alltel, Ambien and - um - Bravo commercials for six hours. Then they'll understand why people cancel their cable.

wobblie said...

I haven't paid for cable since we left Eugene (although we do plug it into the TV, and it does deliver random cable programming like the Golf Channel, which seems to inexplicably make l'il E. happy). The only reason I even want cable is to be able to watch live soccer from Europe. However, since I discovered ESPN360 on teh innernets (plus DVDs at the local library), I no longer have any reason for the cable. And life is good.

Post a Comment